Spartanburg Day School, a 2K-12, independent school in Spartanburg, S.C. is seeking a Preschool Teacher (3-year-old classroom) to join the Lower School faculty for the 2019-20 academic year. The positions are full-time positions with hours of 7:30a.m.-3:15p.m. Spartanburg Day School is accredited by SAIS/AdvancEd, and the SDS Lower School is accredited by International Baccalaureate PYP. SDS is a member of PAIS, SAIS, NAIS, CEEB, NACAC and Green Steps. More information about Spartanburg Day School can be found on the school website: www.spartanburgdayschool.org.
In keeping with the characteristics of excellence for all of Spartanburg Day School's faculty and staff, strong candidates will be professional, self-driven, team-oriented and life-long learners who pursue excellence and contribute positively to the life of the school in various ways. They will be growth-oriented, passionate about teaching, and called to working with young children. They will embrace fully the school's mission and will be able to bring subjects to life, to collaborate effectively across grade levels and to inspire students to learn.
The successful candidate will have:
Our ideal candidate loves working with young children, has a professional, nurturing demeanor and is dedicated to young children, their families and the profession. We hope to find a candidate who is passionate about working with young children and eager to engage in reflective practice. Candidates should enjoy working in a team and have strong collaboration and communication skills. He/She must be able to multitask, collaborate well with colleagues and families, pay attention to detail, have a good sense of humor, be a self-starter and be highly flexible and responsive to the needs of our children and program.
- A bachelor's/master's degree in early childhood or elementary education or an associate's degree in Early Care and Education, or an Early Childhood Development Certificate is preferred
- Three years or more of teaching experience (2-5 year-olds) is preferred
- DSS certification is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A clear commitment to the mission of the Spartanburg Day School (available on the website)
- Familiarity with the Reggio Emilia philosophy and inquiry-based learning is preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands the academic, social and emotional needs of learners, and creates a learning environment that allows them the opportunity to activate their creativity and ingenuity
- Builds community by cultivating relationships and making connections with students
- Provides a supportive learning environment by encouraging student participation and using positive behavioral support strategies to maintain standards of student behavior for an effective learning atmosphere
- Cares for and develops a stimulating environment and curates resources;
- Co-constructs curricular program;
- Supervises, guides and documents child interactions;
- Regularly reports to parents and leads parent-teacher conferences.
- Invests in the life of the school by participating in weekly meetings and school wide events
- Other duties as assigned and hours/schedules may flex due to the needs of our program, which may include staff meetings, collaboration, professional development days, etc.
Please reply immediately to be considered for this position.
To apply, send resume to:
Ashley Stokes, Lower School Head