Spartanburg Day School, a 2K-12, independent school in Spartanburg, S.C. is seeking a third grade teacher to join the Lower School faculty for the 2019-20 academic year. Spartanburg Day School is accredited by SAIS/AdvancEd, and the SDS Lower School is accredited by International Baccalaureate PYP. SDS is a member of PAIS, SAIS, NAIS, CEEB, NACAC and Green Steps. More information about Spartanburg Day School can be found on the school website: www.spartanburgdayschool.org.
In keeping with the characteristics of excellence for all of Spartanburg Day School's faculty and staff, strong candidates will be professional, self-driven, team-oriented and life-long learners who pursue excellence and contribute positively to the life of the school in various ways. They will be growth-oriented, passionate about teaching, called to working with young children and technologically savvy. They will embrace fully the school's mission and will be able to bring subjects to life, to collaborate effectively across grade levels and departments and to inspire students to learn. Strong candidates also will cultivate critical thinking and learning skills through student-centered, differentiated instruction and the use of thoughtfully designed, well-crafted assessments that help prepare students to function in our increasingly dynamic, interconnected, technological world.
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in early childhood or elementary education and current teacher certification
- A master's degree and three years or more of teaching experience is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A sense of humor, compassion and a desire to work collaboratively
- A clear commitment to the mission of the Spartanburg Day School (available on the website)
- Familiarity with the IB PYP and Reader's and Writer's Workshop
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands the academic, social and emotional needs of learners, and creates a learning environment that allows them the opportunity to activate their creativity and ingenuity
- Builds community by cultivating relationships and making connections with students
- Provides a supportive learning environment by encouraging student participation and using positive behavioral support strategies to maintain standards of student behavior for an effective learning atmosphere
- Establishes clear learning goals and links subject matter to prior learning and experiences
- Uses assessments to guide learning and adjust lessons, and differentiates based on readiness, interest and learning profiles.
- Creates lessons that focus on active learning and important ideas, and emphasizes thought and meaning utilizing multiple modes of expression.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please reply immediately to be considered for this position.
To apply, send resume to:
Ashley Stokes, Lower School Head